Saturated Fat and Why Your Gut Can’t Heal Without It
Before you think I’ve gone off the deep end, let me introduce you to some interesting statistics about saturated fats. First, I want you to consider that prior to 1920 heart disease and cancer were almost unheard of. But since then, have a look at these trends…
Between 1910 and 1970…
- Animal fat consumption DECREASED by 21%
- Butter consumption DECREASED from 18 lbs. per person per year to only 4 lbs.
- Refined vegetable oils consumption (much of it trans-fats) INCREASED by 400%
- Sugar and processed food consumption INCREASED by 60%
Between 1970 to 2006…
- Decrease in the consumption of high saturated-fat foods like full-fat milks, eggs and red meat.
- Butter consumption (a saturated fat) has decreased by 1/3.
- Refined salad oil (heavily rancid) consumption more than tripled.
Are You Ready for the Truth?
So how come if saturated fat consumption has been decreasing further and further for the past century, why have heart disease, cancer, and other health problems continued to increase at a faster and faster rate?
Because saturated fats are not the problem.
The Necessity of Saturated Fats…
- Saturated fats are necessary for the absorption of calcium for bones (so fat-free or skim milk is not a good source of calcium).
- Saturated fats are necessary for proper immune function, nervous system, and brain development.
- Saturated fats are a necessary precursor to your hormone production such as estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, and even Vitamin D.
- Saturated fats are necessary for maintaining the health and rigidity of your cells.
- Saturated fats are necessary for the utilization of omega-3 fatty acids which are widely accepted as an integral part of your health.
But Maybe Most Importantly…
Saturated fats are necessary for healing and maintaining a healthy digestive tract.
Think About It…
If saturated fats were so bad, then why is breastmilk that babies rely on so early in life full of saturated fat? If something is so beneficial for a baby, then why would it be deadly to an adult?
So How Much Fat Do You Need?
That depends on your genetics. I use and teach a method called Metabolic Typing where you determine exactly how much fat you need in your diet to be at your best based on your genetics.
If you’re interested in learning more about your Metabolic Type and determining exactly how much fat you need in your diet then it’s all part of the Leaky Gut Cure…
Eat This, Not That
Eat: High quality, pastured, non-medicated, organic eggs, dairy, poultry, and meat.
Not: Processed meats with added preservatives and chemicals.
Still keen on healing and maintaining a healthy digestive tract? Watch this video – 7 Signs Of Unhealthy Gut And How To Improve Gut Health?
Your body stores toxins in your fat cells and animals are no different. So limit your consumption of fat from conventionally raised animals who store all of the added hormones, pesticides, and medications in their fat cells.
Karen Brimeyer is a nutritionist, functional medicine practitioner, and health consultant. She has helped over a hundred personal clients heal their leaky gut, digestive problems, lose weight, and resolve their chronic symptoms and conditions.
She is the owner of Optimal Self-Healing in Tampa Bay Florida, a private nutrition and health consultation business and author of the Leaky Gut Cure program.
Karen has worked with a wide variety of populations from new moms to athletes overcome their health problems and achieve optimal health.
Karen found her passion for nutrition as a teenager. While striving to achieve optimal health by following the widely accepted diet and nutrition tips of the media and conventional medicine, she found her own health declining rapidly with the development leaky gut which led to digestive problems and chronic fatigue.
Unwilling to accept her situation, she set out to determine the truth about health which led her through her own research as well as studying and working with some of the best holistic doctors and holistic practitioners in the fields of nutrition, functional medicine, and life coaching.
She has since applied her knowledge with herself to overcome her own leaky gut and achieve an unprecedented level of health and wellbeing. Her happy and healthy pregnancy and now two-year old son, TJ, are a testament to the health she has achieved.
To find out more about this program, click on Leaky Gut Cure