- What Is Turkey Neck?
- What Causes Turkey Neck?
- 6 Ways to Get Rid of Turkey Neck
- How to Prevent Turkey Neck?
It seems like it happens overnight: you wake up, yawn, stretch, and lumber over to the bathroom to brush your teeth. You look up into the mirror mid-brush and see skin on your neck that appears to be sagging or loose where it never was before.
The extra skin, sometimes unflatteringly referred to as turkey neck, can be the result of a combination of factors, including genetics and environmental factors.
If you feel like your skin is aging prematurely, take a look at this list of surprising habits that can lead to the appearance of aging — it includes everything from washing your face too much to using your makeup incorrectly.
The good news is that you don’t have to simply accept your aging skin. In fact, you can easily tighten neck skin with some quick exercises — and you don’t even have to leave your home to do them.
Keep reading to find some helpful tips to both prevent and tighten saggy neck skin without having to resort to surgery.
What Is Turkey Neck?
“Turkey neck” is a slang term for loose, wrinkly or sagging skin around your neck area. It is called a turkey neck because it can resemble those red wattles that hang down from underneath a turkey’s neck.
The primary difference between a double chin and a turkey neck are that the double chin is caused by extra fat deposits around the chin. Turkey necks, on the other hand, are usually a result of aging.
What Causes Turkey Neck?
More often than not, turkey neck is a result of aging. According to WebMD, as we age, our skin naturally loses elasticity and has a more difficult time “snapping back” like younger skin does.
Factors like genetics, sun exposure, and smoking may also contribute to early aging.
Another factor that we can easily take action on is muscle tone. Our skin is supported by muscles, which can weaken with age and lack of use.
This is actually good news, because we can do exercises to strengthen muscles, increase circulation and reduce the effects of aging on our necks, according to Scientific American.
Below are some proven exercises to tighten and strengthen the muscles in your neck.
Get Rid of Turkey Neck Method #1: The “Gulping Fish”
- Look up at the ceiling.
- Place one hand at your collarbone and apply gentle downward pressure.
- Jut out your lower jaw and lip toward the ceiling. Do you feel the slight pull down and across your neck? This is the sensation that you want.
- Jut your jaw out five times, each time feeling the tightening down and across your neck.
- Switch hands and repeat the action five more times.
- Repeat three to five times a week to firm up the skin around your neck, minimize or eliminate wrinkles, and prevent cording.
Get Rid of Turkey Neck Method #2: Neck Lift
- Lying on your back, raise your head and your neck very gently, and slightly off the ground.
- Turn your head slowly to the right and then to the left before facing forward again and lowering your head back to the ground.
- Repeat as many times as you can comfortably do it while maintaining good control. You don’t want to jerk your head and neck. The movement should always be small and controlled.
- Stop immediately if you feel any pain.
- Repeat three to five times a week to strengthen and tone your neck.
Get Rid of Turkey Neck Method #3: The Gum Chew
- Sit up straight and with your mouth and lips closed, tilt your head back and toward the ceiling.
- While keeping your lips shut, bring your teeth apart and then back together again slowly as if you were chewing a big wad of chewing gum.
- Slowly “chew” this way 20 times.
- Repeat three to five times a week to tighten neck skin and reduce turkey neck.
Get Rid of Turkey Neck Method #4: Forehead Push
- Place one hand on your forehead.
- Push your head against your hand without allowing your head to move forward.
- Hold the forward momentum and tension for a slow count of 10.
- Reverse the motion by knitting your hands together behind your head and pushing backward for a slow count of 10.
- Repeat three to five times a week to tighten and tone neck muscles.
Get Rid of Turkey Neck Method #5: Smooch
- Sit up straight and lift your head toward the ceiling.
- Purse your lips and make a kissing face toward the ceiling.
- Send 20 air smooches in the direction of your ceiling fan or chandelier.
- Repeat three to five times a week to tighten your neck skin.
Get Rid of Turkey Neck Method #6: Neck Lift
- Lie face down on your bed with your head dangling off the edge and relax your body.
- Slowly lift your head up, only using your neck muscles so that you are parallel to the floor.
- Repeat five times, stopping immediately if you feel any pain.
- This is a small, controlled movement; do not jerk or twist your neck in any way.
- Repeat three to five times a week to tighten neck muscles and reduce the effects of aging on your neck.
How to Prevent Turkey Neck?
There is usually a genetic component to turkey neck, so if your grandma or mother have it, then it may happen to you as well. With that being said, maintaining good muscle tone can definitely shrink down the prospect of a turkey neck, or even prevent it.
Another preventative measure is to apply a moisturizer on your face and neck daily, according to Health.com and Selfcare.com.
Always practice good sun protection. Use a lotion or a moisturizer that has an SPF in it. Wear and reapply sunscreen if you are going to be outdoors for a substantial period of time. Also, do not indulge in tanning beds!
It is possible to combat the effects of aging on your skin, and to minimize, if not prevent, turkey neck.
For more ideas to look younger, look no further than Wendy Wilken’s Facelift Without Surgery Program. From this program, you will learn
- How to eliminate wrinkles on the face and neck: Forehead lines, eye wrinkles and crow’s feet, smile and laugh folds, nasal lines, fine lines around the mouth and lips, neck wrinkles and creases.
- Easy facial yoga routines for tightening and lifting sagging face and neck skin
- Methods to treat unsightly eye bags, dark eye circles and “racoon” rings.
- How to use yoga to re-sculpture and sharpen the features of your face and neck for a new and better looking
To find out more, How to Look Younger Without Expensive Surgery